Sometimes my motivation is low, like sludge at the bottom of an oil pan in a car that has been sitting in the redneck's yard down the street from my grandma's house for the last 10 year's low. *grin* When this happens, I look for some way to perk myself back up into my usual peppy frame of mind. Sometimes music does the trick, a lunch date with a good friend, a hershey bar, or good quote.
I am sure I'm not the only one this happens to, so I thought I'd share some of my fave quotes. I hope they help raise you from the depths of non-motivation in which you find yourself.
1) "When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, 'I am going to produce a work of art.' I write because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing." ~George Orwell
2) "If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it. Or, if proper usage gets in the way, it may have to go. I can't allow what we learned in English composition to disrupt the sound and rhythm of the narrative." ~Elmore Leonard
3) "The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book." ~Samuel Johnson
4) "Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days...What is belief - what is faith - if you don't continue in it after failure?...Anyone can believe in someone, or something that always succeeds...But failure...ah, now, that is hard to believe in, certainly and truly. Difficult enough to have value. Sometimes we just have to wait long enough...then we find out why exactly it was that we kept believing...There's always another secret." ~ Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn: The Final Empire
5) “If you're always on time, it implies that you never have anything better you should be doing.” ~ Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn: The Final Empire
6) "A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket." ~Charles Peguy
7) "If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison
8) "Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very;" your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be." ~Mark Twain
9) "Easy reading is damn hard writing." ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
10) "If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~Isaac Asimov
11)What does it profit a man to gain the world, but lose his soul? Mark 8:36